At the end of the 19th century, construction of the Waterloo and Magog railway and the Magog Textile and Print Company began the transformation of Magog from village to industrial town. It was in fact in a Magog factory that a piece of cotton was printed for the first time in Canada, in July 1884. Acquisition of the cotton print company by Dominion Cotton Mills in 1889 and creation of Dominion Textile in 1905 consolidated the expansion. For most of the 20th century, the history of Magog was intimately tied to the progress of the textile industry, the town’s main employer. Better roads also led to expansion of the tourism industry in all four seasons, which continues unabated today..
Cliquez pour information.
City of Magog
Free audioguided visits daily to learn about the history and heritage of Magog. The heritage tours cover the three oldest districts of urban Magog. Simply follow the route suggested at your own pace or amble from place to place as you choose thanks to a map indicating the numbers that correspond to commentaries recorded on the audioguide. In addition to the historical and architectural commentaries, three writers from the region, one art historian, one historian, and a former Magog textile worker all tell you their stories. The audioguides are available in English and French.
Centre d’arts visuels : 61, rue Merry Nord Magog (Québec) J1X 2E7 ∕819 843-2099
Bibliothèque Memphrémagog: 90, rue Saint-David Magog (Québec) J1X 0H9 ∕819 843-1330
Visites guidées gratuites. Découvrez l’histoire de Magog et le patrimoine bâti de la rue Principale avec un guide ou un personnage historique.
Horaire : à 13 h 30 les dimanches du 1er juillet au 19 août de même que pendant la Flambée des couleurs le dimanche 7 octobre.
Départ de la visite : Centre d’arts visuels, 61, rue Merry Nord Magog (Québec) J1X 2E7 (stationnement gratuit à l’arrière du Centre).
Durée de la visite : 75-90 minutes.
Inscription obligatoire : 819 843-4412 poste 0 (lundi au vendredi) 819 843-2099 (samedi et dimanche)
The history and built heritage of the city’s main street with a historian or a historical personality.
With Odilon, the shoeshiner who is never at a loss for words
Sundays, July 8 and 29, August 12 and 19, and October 7
Departure at 10:30 a.m. from the Centre d’arts visuels
Adults: $5 ∕ Under 18: Free
With Sophie Charbonneau, museologist and historian
Sundays, July 15 and 22, and August 5
Departure at 1:30 p.m. from the Centre d’arts visuels
Adults: $5 ∕ Under 18: Free
Tour starts at the Centre d’arts visuels, 61, rue Merry Nord Magog (Québec) J1X 2E7 (free parking behind the Centre).
Duration: 75-90 minutes.
Registration is required: 819 843-2099
Exhibition in the side window at 375 Principale Ouest, in cooperation with the Société d’histoire de Magog. June 22 to October 8, 2012: Saint Luke Church, its history and architecture. Built in the early 1870s on land belonging to Ralph Merry V, the church is renowned for its architectural integrity.
Magog’s Centre d’arts visuels is home to an art gallery, which helps exhibit the work of artist members of the Comité d’action culturelle and which helps promote the Circuit des arts Memphrémagog, the EstivArts, and Visa-Art. It is also home to the Musée international d’art naïf de Magog, the only museum in Canada devoted entirely to naïf art. From November 8 to 18, 2012, the gallery will be exhibiting old photos that recall the built heritage of Magog and its people.
Visual arts centre: 61 Merry Nord, Magog, QC J1X 2E7
Timetable: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily from June 15 to September 3. From 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday to Sunday starting September 5.