Des Sources

The Des Sources regional municipal county is located at the extreme north of the Eastern Townships. Its seven municipalities are graced with a varied landscape of lakes, rivers, mountains, and wide open spaces. The region’s settlement first saw Americans taking advantage of the fertile lands, followed by the British, Irish, and Scottish. Later, at the end of the 19th century, mineral extraction, particularly asbestos, attracted many workers to the area.

When visiting the Des Sources region, you won’t want to miss one of the most beautiful villages in the Eastern Townships: Danville. A little hidden treasure, the town will impress you with its voyage back in time through the community’s exceptional built heritage.

Stop at the tourist information office for help in planning your stay, and we will be pleased to reveal all the jewels of our region.

Le P’tit Bonheur de Saint-Camille

Le P’tit Bonheur de Saint-Camille

Founded in the late 1840s, Saint-Camille was one of the first French-speaking villages of the Eastern Townships. However, the architecture of its buildings draws on an English-language heritage. Renowned for its cultural activities and expertise in rural community development, Saint-Camille is a united, innovative, and learning community. Its population is growing, having recently passed the 500 mark.

Located in the former general store and opened in 1988,le P'Ti Bonheur de Saint-Camille,  this cultural and community centre, puts on shows, exhibitions, and festivals, and offers services, meals, and training to the community.

162, rue Miquelon, Saint-Camille
J0A 1G0
819 340-1993
Website

Vitrine minéralogique et d’histoire

Vitrine minéralogique et d’histoire

This is the capital of the asbestos-producing region, known particularly for its open-pit mines. With the Jeffrey Mine, the town can continue to claim to this day to have the largest open-air deposit in the world. The asbestos was discovered by 1879, and extraction began by William H. Jeffrey in 1881. Asbestos has been through its courses and graduated, growing from a simple post office to mining camp and from village to town. The name “Asbestos,” dating back to 1884, comes from the English word derived from the Greek name for incombustible.

The museum collects minerals from the Jeffrey Mine as well as derivative products from the mining industry, and provides information on the history of local mining.

351, boul. Saint-Luc, Asbestos
J1T 2W4
819 879-7171
Website

Danville

Danville

On June 14, 1902, the Montreal Daily Herald ran the headline, “Danville, one of the most beautiful towns in the province of Quebec.” Danville is located at the edge of the Eastern Townships, where the Bois-Francs region starts. It owes its growth to the arrival of the railway in the mid-18th century. Magnificent Victorian homes and the American-style square continue to bear witness to that era.

Danville has been home to well-known leaders such as Daniel Johnson, premier of Quebec from 1966 to 1968, and Mack Sennett, an icon of Hollywood silent movies.

39 rue Du Dépôt, Danville
J0A 1A0
1 888 839.2911
Email | Website

Loading...

DISCOVER ANOTHER REGION

Townships Trail map Haut-Saint-François Des Sources Val-Saint-François Sherbrooke Memphrémagog Haute-Yamaska Brome-Missisquoi