Round barns and covered bridges route

Unique heritage jewels

The round barns and covered bridges adorning the Eastern Townships landscape represent an exceptional heritage. Beyond telling a part of our local history, they are the subject of numerous legends. They also reflect typical expertise in our corner of the world. Take a moment to explore and admire them during your journey on the Townships Trail!

Round barn Stanley-Holmes

Round barn Stanley-Holmes

The roots of the Holmes family on the Barnston-Ouest territory are profound. In 1897, Williams Henry Holmes and his wife Estella Edna Smith settled down with their three children.

After the fire that destroyed the first barn, the family decided, in 1907, to build a round barn on the land of the family dairy farm.

 

Source: Municipalité de Barnston-Ouest

2523, chemin Holmes , Barnston-Ouest


Website

West Brome round barn

West Brome round barn

Build in 1915-1916, it hasn’t been in use for several years, but it’s still remarkably well preserved. It cedar shingles, its pinched sheet metal roof, its dormers and its pretty turret all contribute to its olden day charm.

 

Source: Tourisme Cantons-de-l'Est.

35, chemin Scott , Lac-Brome


Website

Freeport covered bridge

Freeport covered bridge

Built in 1870

rue Bell, Cowansville


Website

The Walbridge Barn

The Walbridge Barn

Classified as a provincial historic building in May 2004, the Walbridge Barn in Mystic (St. Ignace-de-Stanbridge) Quebec, is one of the most beautiful gems of Quebec’s architectural heritage. This dodecagonal (12-sided) barn is the only one of its kind in the province.

Source: Musée Missisquoi

189, chemin de Mystic, Saint-Ignace-de-Stanbridge


Website

McVetty-McKenzie covered bridge

McVetty-McKenzie covered bridge

Founded in 1807 the Township of Lingwick welcomed its first settlers in 1838. These immigrants, ousted from their farms in the isle of Lewis in Scotland which have since been transformed into pastures, settled on lands granted to the British American Land Co.

On December 21, 1892, a tender in the amount of $4,314 from J. & I.A. McKenzie and William McVetty was selected for the construction of the stone foundation of the bridge and the wood structure. In 1893, the bridge was completed to the council's satisfaction.

Following the construction of a new bridge, the covered bridge has not been in service since 1950 having been declared a heritage site since 2003 and has become a gathering place.

Source: Waymarking.com

151 Route 257, Lingwick
J0B 2Z0

Website

Grange ronde du Parc de la gorge

Grange ronde du Parc de la gorge

300 rue St-Marc , Coaticook
J1A 1M2

De la Frontiere Covered bridge

De la Frontiere Covered bridge

The Pont de la Frontière was built in 1896, near the northern border of the State of Vermont.  It is found on Chemin Bellevue where it spans a deep gorge on the Mud Brook.  A walking trail is located upstream from the bridge beginning near the province Hill Cemetery and leads to the brook side,where a splendid view of the bridge is to be seen.

The covered bridge was retired from use in 1960 after more than 75 years of loyal service.  It was cited as a historic monument on October 6, 2008.

Source: Potton.ca

Chemin Bellevue, Canton de Potton
J0E 1X0

Website

Mansonvile round barn

Mansonvile round barn

Built in 1911, the Mansonville round barn, with its clapboard siding, has three stories and a tin roof topped with a cupola and gable roof dormers. Thanks to several contributions and grants, plus many donations, a lot of restoration work is being carried out to return it to its lustre of the past.

Once completed, this barn will become an interpretation centre for the region’s agricultural, forest and landscape built heritage.

Source: Easterntownships.org

25 Rue Joseph Blanchet, Mansonville
J0E 1X0

Website

Paul-Émile-Giguère covered bridge

Paul-Émile-Giguère covered bridge

Covered Bridge Mill was once used by merchants and residents in the area to bring the wool mill. It was restored in 1993. The day after the inauguration, a  arsonist set fire to the bridge. From the week that followed, many administrators and volunteers were busy fundraising to enable reconstruction. The covered bridge Ulverton Woolen Mill is the only bridge with an automatic fire protection. The covered bridge was restored a third, a bright red.

source: QuebecPanorama

210 Chemin Porter, Ulverton
J0B 2B0

Website

Baldwin Mills round barn

Baldwin Mills round barn

As you head out to Mount Pinacle or to the beach at Lyster Lake, you’ll find the biggest round barn of the Townships right here on the Baldwin Mills-Barnston road. Even though it hasn’t been used since 2009, and although it really needs a lot of love, it still offers a fine glimpse of the past with its cedar shingle siding and its pretty turret.

Source: easterntownships.org

1282, chemin de Baldwin Mills-Barnston,, Coaticook


Website

Milby coverer bridge

Milby coverer bridge

2335 Chemin du Pont Couvert, Waterville
J0B 3H0

Website

Drouin covered Bridge

Drouin covered Bridge

350 Chemin Drouin, Compton
J0B 1L0

Website

Eustis covered Bridge

Eustis covered Bridge

The Eustis Bridge, which was built back in 1908, is one of only three remaining covered bridges in Quebec that feature a construction type known as the multiple kingpost truss.

The Eustis Bridge takes its name from a once-thriving copper mining village of the same name, a community that a century ago boasted a large mining complex, dozens of company houses, a general store, a church, a train station, and even a baseball team. Today, few traces of the village remain, apart from copper slag, the occasional house, and, of course, the covered bridge.

Source: http://townshipsheritage.com

Chemin Astbury, Waterville
J0B 3H0

Website

John-Cook covered Bridge

John-Cook covered Bridge

Rue Craig Nord, Cookshire-Eaton


Website

McDermott covered bridge

McDermott covered bridge

The McDermott bridge near Cookshire is one of Quebec's oldest covered bridges. It was built in 1886 using the multiple kingpost design.

Source: qahn.org

Chemin McDermott, Cookshire-Eaton


Website

Narrow covered bridge

Narrow covered bridge

A hundred and twenty years after it was built, and twenty-five years after it was by-passed, the covered bridge over the Fitch Bay Narrows is still standing. Located along Highway 247 between Beebe (Stanstead) and Georgeville, the old bridge, with its newer concrete cousin not far away, sits at the foot of two steep ridges that rise on either side of Fitch Bay, which is a long offshoot (almost a fjord, in fact) of Lake Memphremagog. The bridge spans the bay at its narrowest point -- hence its name "Narrows Bridge."

Source: townshipsheritage.com

685 chemin Narrows, Stanstead


Website